Saturday 28 May 2011

5 more Hours to the DISTRICT contest.

Time 3.03am. Strong fan aimed at my face.. Heart  pounding. Dryness in  eyes.
My dear friend Yahssir is slipping in and out and consciousness. I don't blame the ol chap.
 Its been a gruelling 8 hours where the he heard same  lines from me over and over again.
 "Bro... which one you think is better? "

 Yahssir, drifts off into his artistic brain and returns with an ambiguous smirk and a unstated nod. I proceed to make the edit. The this repeats. 

Preparing for a Speech Contest is no easy thing. The most agnosing part is the self doubt. Will it work ? Should I say it this way ? Emmm Wait... How about this story or this literary device to punch my message thru? I salute every person out there who has taken the challenge of taking part in a speech contest.

I do plan to share some ideas on crafting a good speech in future posts.. If you need to know anything in specific pls message me. 

Its' almost been over 5 years since I was at the District platform. The butterflies in my stomach themselves have smaller butterflies fluttering nervously inside of them.

7 mins. That's it. Make it or break it. 
Every pause. Facial Expressions, Vocal variation and Message points. Everything is sliced into nano bits to test for message worthiness. In the past I used to say that the fastest way to learn how to speak well is to put yourself thru speech contests. Its been over 13 years of Toastmastering for me and now I say, "The fastest way for you to become Insane is to keep taking part in contests. hahahaha" See I am laughing at my own lame comments. But no. Honestly, taking part in contests really helps a person to gain more clarity in crafting a precise speech.

Ok I gotta get back to my rehearsal. BTW Barcelona just scored a goal against Man U. I know this because Yahssir just let out a groan. 






No comments:

Post a Comment