Sunday 29 May 2011

District 80 Toastmasters International Speech Contest Experience Part 1

6.30 am. The time of the contest was creeping up on me. Twas time for my epic journey towards the Singapore Recreation Club.
My mother was trying to get a Taxi booking for me because she thought it would be better if I did not drive to the contest venue. After several minutes I finally got the booking through my Iphone. The confirmation note said  7-9 mins for the taxi to arrive below my apartment.

Having no sleep for 30 hours had put me in a hyper active zone. My brain was busy with a Buzz. My mother helped me carry my props (djembe) to the taxi.


But I sensed something was wrong when I got a quick glimpse of the taxi driver. His deeply furrowed foreheard, the tight muscles around his eyes and his thin purse lips. His aura screamed,"I AM PISSED!"
A voice in my head.  " Oh no... what a way to start the morning"

With my things loaded into the drunk, I bid my mother a temporary farewell and got into the warm TAXI that smelt like the the inside of an ash tray. Argh.

Beads of sweat began emerging from my forehead. I loosen my tie and gave the address of where I wanted to go. He, the disgruntled driver barked at me, "Where this place?" Gulp.

"Its near the raffles city shopping centre one uncle. err... near the padang you know.."

I could have just raised my voice in retaliation but I told myself this was happening for me to cultivate my patience. I do my best to be a practitioner of what I say. I reminded myself that I must do something to pour some sweet mirth back into this frail looking, wrinkled unhappy man.

I made some small talk and remained as cordial as possible to improve his mood. The temperature was still below my expectations. Before I opened my mouth to tell the uncle to "make the air con stronger" I looked at the air conditioning controls. It was all set to the lowest point with the fan speed at its highest. Even if I asked him to make it colder there was nothing he could have done...

I keep grounding myself back to the idea that at the Soul level there is no separations. And you know surprisingly he did become nicer to me. Oh Oh oh ... I forgot to tell you why he was upset in the first place. I got my first clue when he said,"your number is 00000000 is it? " to which before I could reply he continued, "Call you 5 times never pick up." Ah.... a moment of truth. He was frustrated because he had been waiting for me and was unable to reach me.

Disappointments.
Drives all of us crazy doesn't it ?

I did try to glance through my speech structure a few times. Nervous ? Oh no. not at all..
I was delirious. To think that I was still modifying my speech till the 5.50am. Madness. I was hearing the flight of the Bumble Bee in my head.



Soon I parted with the taxi uncle and I even gave him a 2 dollar tip and I do think its because of what my father has advised me in the Past. Anger begets Anger and Love Beget Love. If other people want to be nasty let them be. You just continue doing the right things.

Yes Dad. You are right. Very right indeed. "Its in the mirror of society for which  one reflects his own true nature. "- an original ramesh muthusamy quote. hahaa.

I walked into the awesomely homely and inviting Singapore Recreation Club....


TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment